Implementing tables - advice wanted

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jun 13 11:54:01 CEST 2006

--- "Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB)"
<joe.armstrong@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I've been thinking a bit about tables in Erlang.

Question: are these tables pure or impure? Since you
are using ets in your examples, I would guess impure.
If so, is this a wise choice? (I personally wouldn't
recommend it, unless it's a conscious decision to
introduce mutable data inside Erlang processes.)

I would instead recommend starting out by translating
the notation into using dict or, even better, a
well-defined behaviour. Then plug in more efficient
implementations as needed.

Most operations should be straightforward to
translate. The main exception I can think of is
pattern matching.

(I think it sounds like a useful thing to have, by the
way.)

Best,
Thomas