Language Bindings for Erlang Again

Andrew Lentvorski bsder@REDACTED
Mon Jun 12 12:44:10 CEST 2006

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) wrote:

> Yariv Sadan posted the following *wonderful* advice:
>
>> Joe, please do a Ruby on Rails tutorial (you can easily find one on
>> Google) -- it'll be a very rewarding experience :) Once you
>> have everything installed, It shouldn't take you more than
>> than 10 minutes to create a complete database-driven Rails web app.
>
> I did - and here's what happened ( this is long so, but there is a moral
> at the end ...)
>
> To start with its lucky Yariv said (Once you have everything installed)
> - this step
> took about 5 hours. Of course RoR didn't work "out of the box" on my
> Ubuntu breezy.

Ouch.

I'll ask some of the folks I know to see if there is something more
equivalent to "Instant Rails" for Windows or "Locomotive" for OS X but
instead for Linux.

I'm not a big fan of Rails (too much magic for my taste), but Locomotive
was rather well-done as a demonstration.  It includes everything as
local applications so that you don't have to do lots of installing to
make everything work.  I think it even included demonstration videos, IIRC.

-a