Language Bindings for Erlang Again (Opinion)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jun 8 10:46:16 CEST 2006

--- Gerd Flaig <gefla@REDACTED> wrote:

> Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_erlang@REDACTED> writes:
>
> > This is what I consider a real Erlang problem: it
> is
> > fairly obscure. I'd furthermore expect things are
> > worse in the US. (Some consider that a competitive
> > advantage, of course. Not I.)
>
> as often as I hear that argument, I still don't
> understand it. Anyone
> you would want to hire for software development can
> pick up Erlang in
> a few days and OTP in four to eight weeks.

Well, in essence it's one less hurdle. (Or several.)

If the "industry standard" is Erlang, things get much
easier for the individual manager. Less arguing with
bosses, less resistance from the organization, less
trouble in recruiting and training talent, ...

The same basic argument goes for developers. If Erlang
becomes a recruiting keyword, then having it on your
resume isn't just dead space (to put it a bit
drastically :-).

In marketing speak, we'd like to put Erlang further to
the right on the product adoption curve.

Best,
Thomas