Language Bindings for Erlang Again (Opinion)

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Thu Jun 8 09:44:53 CEST 2006

On 6/8/06, Andrew Lentvorski <bsder@REDACTED> wrote:
> Gerd Flaig wrote:
> > as often as I hear that argument, I still don't understand it. Anyone
> > you would want to hire for software development can pick up Erlang in
> > a few days and OTP in four to eight weeks.
>
> I disagree.
>
> The complete rearrangement to functional programming and message passing
>   does not come easily for 99% of software developers.  Now, we can
> argue whether you should hire people like that, but if you ignore 99% of
> all developers, your language is unlikely to become very widespread.
>
> OTP cannot be picked up in 4 to 8 weeks because its documentation sucks.
>
> Why do I use OTP?  When do I use OTP?  When do I *not* use OTP?

What do you take these numbers from? Isnt there empirical evidence that
programmers with _no_ previous erlang experience grasp it well after
a four day course?

Aren't there people on this list that teach erlang that can give us their view
of how easy it is to train people in erlang, and also otp?