Erlang on Intel Mac

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Wed Jun 7 18:45:03 CEST 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:03:15 -0500, Anders Nygren wrote:
>I am considering buying a new computer and am becoming seduced
>by the idea of getting a Mac.
>The question is how well does erlang work on the new Intel based Macs?
>
>I saw some discussions back in January that said that Hipe does not support
>Intel Macs, is that the only limitation?

I'm assuming you're intending to use OSX on it.

I can think of a few issues:
- Fast floating-point support: needs reliable FP exceptions, but
  the code for that is both OS and CPU specific. I wrote the code
  for Linux/{x86,amd64,ppc} and OSX/ppc, but without a machine I
  can't say how the code needs to change to handle OSX/x86.
- HiPE: wants fast floating-point, but on x86 also needs working
  sigaltstack() and ability to enforce SA_ONSTACK in sigaction() calls.
  This is highly dependent on details of the C library, but it does
  work on Linux/x86 (at least RedHat/Fedora) and Solaris/x86 8/9.
  OSX/x86 is a complete unknown here.

The rest should work, including SMP.