How to get the memory usage for the system in Erlang?

Bengt Kleberg <>
Wed Jun 7 10:11:06 CEST 2006

On 2006-06-05 21:04, Tony Zheng wrote:
> Hi
> I want to check the memory usage(the amount of free memory available)
> for the system in Erlang on Unix platform(Sun Solarix 10). I used
> memsup:get_memory_data() or memsup:get_system_memory_data() command to
> do it. But both of them gave an error message. Are there any suggestions

it is not mentioned in the documentation, but the memsup module has a
start_link/0 function you can call

after that it works.

note that you are linking to the memsup process, so if your process (the
shell?) dies then the memsup process will die to.

    EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides
    solely in a computer program then the subject matter is not
    patentable in whatever manner it may be presented in the claims."