Language Bindings for Erlang Again (Opinion)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jun 6 20:35:39 CEST 2006

--- Jeff Crane <jefcrane@REDACTED> wrote:

> > I'm pretty sure that the ASP and Erlang don't
> > qualify as solutions in the same
> > problem domain.
>
> Sure they do. They are both turing complete
> languages.

Turing completeness is hardly the be-all of comparing
computer languages. At least four of the properties we
use to describe Erlang(*) go missing when we get to
the level of a Turing machine.

Nevertheless, if ASP serves you better in your work,
why not use ASP? I wouldn't use ASP to implement a
distributed transactional soft real-time database, for
example, so why assume that Erlang should a priori
beat a domain-specific templating language on its home
ground?

Even better, write an ASP-beating templating system
for Yaws. Since Yaws already supports dynamic content
with gusto, this might be reasonably straightforward.
>From this discussion, it sounds like there is some
ambient interest in contributing to such a thing.

Best,
Thomas

* concurrency, distribution, fault-tolerance, soft
real-time