Language Bindings for Erlang Again

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Tue Jun 6 15:52:21 CEST 2006

> The long term, right approach would be to open the internals of
> the emulator a little, but by reifying them cleanly, and to let
> users write and load/unload dynamically their own BIFs.

Unless I have a serious gap in understanding, isn't there another
danger with letting developers essentially create their own BIFs,
because BIF calls block the entire Erlang system process, hence
blocking all spawned Erlang processes during their execution? If one
could easily create BIFs, either they would have to be executed in a
separate system thread, creating the same complexity with regards to
communication with the Erlang VM, or developers would have to be
pretty careful not to write BIFs such as synchronouslyDefragMyDrive()
:)

Yariv