Erlang port to the Java Virtual Machine

Andrew Lentvorski bsder@REDACTED
Thu Jun 1 02:04:32 CEST 2006

Mats Cronqvist wrote:

> Andrew Lentvorski wrote:
>> Christian S wrote:
>>
>> GUI Integration:
>> Tk and Gtk only - that pretty much makes my point
>> (Yes, I know about the wx bindings.  I've used wx.  Never again.)
>
>   i don't get the point. you consider Tk and Gtk (and wx, obviously) to
> be no good? what would it take to make you happy then?

Tk looks ... suboptimal.
Gtk wouldn't be bad, but it has Windows and OS X issues.

Wx -- Lots of code for no gain.  Three different projects I have worked
with started with Wx and dumped it for custom wrappers.  The quality of
abstraction is poor.  Generally, you either need:

A) Something which has very weak UI needs, in which case *anything* will
work and the choice should be for something fast and lightweight (aka.
Tk) even if it looks a bit crummy.  In this case, Wx is a huge overkill.

B) Something which needs a sophisticated UI, in which case you have to
go to the base GUI because the differences are significant (drawing area
abstractions, custom widgets, etc.).  In which case, Wx can't solve the
problem.

-a