multi-core processors and erlang

Joe Armstrong (TN/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Thu Jul 20 11:15:50 CEST 2006

Absolutely -

<<aside>>
just think, when "other languages" (TM) have caught onto the idea
of "no sharing, no-locking, lightweight processes" they will be were
Erlang was twenty years ago :-)
<</aside>>

Yes Erlang runs happily on multi core processors - drop your Erlang
program onto a multi core
and it *will* go faster, exactly how much faster depends upon the
dependencies between you parallel
processes. If they are all independent and CPU bound you'll probably run
K * N
times faster on an N core CPU. Say 16 times on a Sun Niagara.

<< K depends upon the Erlang implementation, it's currently about 0.5,
were hoping for 0.75,
   the current implementation strategy emphasis stability over speed ...

Turning a sequential program into a parallel program is also really
really easy, for
example, I changed a single map to pmap (pmap is a parallel map
function)
and the program went 7 times faster.

Read

http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200606/msg00187.html