question about Erlang's future

Andrew Lentvorski bsder@REDACTED
Thu Jul 6 21:49:26 CEST 2006

Yariv Sadan wrote:
> Whew. That's reassuring.  It would be a shame if Ericsson truly
> abandoned new development with Erlang, both for Erlang developers and
> for Ericsson. My confidence in Erlang is now fully regained :)

Sure, it would suck to lose a bunch of good developers.

However, you have the code.  I use Erlang for the productivity it
provides, not because it is "fashionable".  If it provides that much
benefit, you can maintain the code yourself.

> Ericsson has a powerful language on its hands, and a great antidote to
> mainstream server languages (Java/C#/PHP). It'll be interesting to see
> Erlang challenging those languages in their home court, i.e., web
> development.

And Ericsson couldn't care less about any of this.  Ericsson doesn't
make money on the language.  That is, after all, why they open sourced it.

-a