Article: A Taste of Erlang..

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED
Sat Jul 1 01:20:07 CEST 2006

Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> This came in via Google alert:
>
>  http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=482670&rl=1

On page 6 (http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=482670&seqNum=6&rl=1)

# Erlang is far from perfect. The biggest limitation I’ve encountered is that
# there's no neat way of doing a remote function call. While asynchronous
# programming is easier to scale, you sometimes need to send a message and wait
# for the result before you can proceed. Ideally, you would save the state related
# to the current message and proceed with processing the next one, but at the very
# least you should be able to wait for a specific message and then grab it from
# the message queue while still processing another message.

Maybe the RPC module, and selective receive, are not well-enough signposted in
the docs and tutorials.

Anyway, I have posted a comment to the article to address this.

--
David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED>