A Taste of Erlang, a Dynamic, Asynchronous Message-Passing Language

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Sat Jul 1 00:55:47 CEST 2006

Den 2006-06-30 23:29:54 skrev Mickaël Rémond
<mickael.remond@REDACTED>:

> Hello,
>
> I thought you might be interested by this new article on Erlang:
>
> A Taste of Erlang, a Dynamic, Asynchronous Message-Passing Language
> http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=482670&seqNum=1&rl=1
>
> This is again very good press :-)

Yes, indeed. Overall a nice article.

Curious, though, that he lists as a weakness the difficulty of doing a
remote procedure call.

I've personally never thought that rpc:call(Node,M,F,A) is particularly
difficult to understand or use. Why, you don't even have to write
marshalling code.

     "at the very least you should be able to wait for a
     specific message and then grab it from the message
     queue while still processing another message."

Indeed, and this is particularly easy to do in Erlang, while quite
difficult in, say, UML.

What am I missing here?

/Ulf W
--