Vacancy at T-Mobile

Lennart Ohman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Sat Jan 28 23:24:38 CET 2006

Hi,
Of course in any big company not everyone can know of everything
going on. I am probably extremely ignorant of many home-brewn
things within Ericsson playing equally important roles in their
areas as Erlang in its.

But the Santa Barbara case is different in this case I believe.
I believe that to be a company Ericsson aquired. Ericsson probably
did not buy them to teach them Erlang :-) but rather for the value
of what they were doing before. So most likely they continued
doing what they always done, and not learning Erlang.

Best Regards,
Lennart

Lennart Ohman                   office  : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjoland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 67 35
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 82 30
SE-115 28, STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN    email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED
[mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Brent Fulgham
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 10:59 PM
To: Ulf Wiger ((AL/EAB))
Cc: Erlang Questions
Subject: Re: Vacancy at T-Mobile

I've been trying to hire another developer recently (a C++ job), and
saw a candidate who had worked at Ericsson's Santa Barbara location
(I am in SB as well).  I asked him whether he had worked with Erlang
at all during his days at Ericsson.

He wasn't sure what Erlang was, and when I told him a little more
about it, he said that he hadn't worked with it, but that he thought
it had been a problem on the low-level switch they were working with.

So, even within Ericsson it seems like there are mixed messages.  Or
perhaps this candidate was spinning a story on-the-fly about the
technology.

I have never built anything large with Erlang, so I can't say one way
or another, but my impression is that Erlang is at least as viable as
C++ for most applications (though perhaps not for the lower-level
matrix math and numerical work we do in my day job).

So, perhaps you can add *me* as one more counter-example.  :-)

- -Brent