Software life cycle in Erlang

Tom Whitcomb thomaswhitcomb@REDACTED
Thu Jan 26 22:34:31 CET 2006

I find that erlang is extremely well suited to an iterative,incremental (XP) development model.

Focus on delivering business valuable stories in short iterations using the practices of TDD, refactoring and YAGNI

Yes, erlang's functional orientation makes TDD very effective, but the all important neccessity of "refactoring the code base" across iterations is made cleaner and easier by erlang's declarative nature and simplifying capabilities provided via pattern matching, message passing and high-level language constructs.

Erlang aligns well with the basic iterative development practives and just plain makes development easier, more productive and more fun.

Erlang rocks and there is a great story for using Erlang and XP!

tom