Software life cycle in Erlang

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc@REDACTED
Wed Jan 25 20:54:18 CET 2006

The best explanation of software "engineering" I have heard is
seperation of "design engineering" and "production engineering".
Essentially the speaker was arguing that most development would fall
under the umbrella of design engineering - figuring out how to build
it by building it (very common in the engineering world).   Then
derive requirements and specifications from your prototype and
implement it "production-quality".

The places I've worked, we are doing mostly design engineering , and
the results are not just prototypes - they end up in production.  It's
the nature of the fast paced business.

I would therefore posit, that design engineering has and can replace
production engineering.  The major difference is that production
engineering has more error checking (according to this presentation),
and with a language like erlang where you don't write error checking,
it seems the distinction between design and production is blurring.

Personally in my work, I have found scrum useful for team coordination
and communications, and "build something that works quickly" a good
guiding principle.  This only really applies to smaller things that
can be implemented by a small team though.

-ryan