Build an erlang computer (was:Computers are fast)

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Wed Jan 25 09:40:59 CET 2006

Absolutely.

In my never ending quest for inefficiency I have seldom met a problem
which could not be solved in the twinkling of an eye (apart, that is,
from our friend that wanted to do O(10^19) computations to force some
crypto system :-)

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but
I've been thinking about building a quiet and fast computer.

Has anybody done this? - I think I'm beginning to understand
the things I have to do to make it quiet - but how do I make a fast
computer?

I want to maximize my bangs for the buck.

Any ideas on the tradeoffs between processor caches, main memory sizes,
CPU clock speeds etc.

I'd like to optimize for

  - compiling programs with a few hundred source code files
  - making a high performance web server

Where is my money better spent?

   A cheapish processor with as much memory as possible
   Say a Athlon 64 3000+ 2GHz 512KB cache at 1295 kr
   With 4 G memory (about 1000 kr/G)

   Or the cheapest dual core Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2GH 1MB = 3250kr
   With 2 G memory

In the old days I always said that buying more memory was better than
buying a faster processor - is this still true? - also what
is the effect of increasing the size of the processor cache contra
more main memory for the same money?

Has anybody made any measurements here?

How about cheapo processor, water cooling and overclocking????

Is this the way to go?

<aside> It would be interesting to have some timings
for (say) the time to compile all the Erlang in say
stdlib, done on different processors, with different cache
size etc.
</aside>

Question: Is there a simple program to make main memory totally
unavailable in my linux system? - I'd like to boot the system
saying "use only 100K of memory" or "use only 200K or memory"
(I currently have 512K) so I can measure the effect of different
memory sizes on performance.

Cheers

/Joe