Running an application from the (unix) command line

Thomas Johnsson thomas@REDACTED
Tue Jan 24 10:41:43 CET 2006

Bengt Kleberg wrote:

> moreover, i think that the faq should also mention that ''init stop''
> will be run in parallell with ''hello hello_world''. this is important
> when something longer running than hello_world is started this way :-)

That appears not to be true: when I run
    erl -noshell shtest loop -s init stop
with
loop() ->
    io:format("loop...~n",[]),
    timer:sleep(1000),
    loop().
it just keeps writing ....

---------

While we are on this subject I'd like to add a few related questions:

1. How do I get rid of the "text junk output" written on standard out in
the beginning of a run? Like:

Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4.5 [hipe] [threads:0] [kernel-poll]

=PROGRESS REPORT==== 24-Jan-2006::09:07:13 ===
          supervisor: {local,sasl_safe_sup}
             started: [{pid,<0.32.0>},
                       {name,alarm_handler},
                       {mfa,{alarm_handler,start_link,[]}},
                       {restart_type,permanent},
                       {shutdown,2000},
                       {child_type,worker}]

(I don't get this with the Windows )

2. There appears to be quite a big start-up cost (or maybe it is
termination cost),
 > time erl -noshell -s init stop
may take about a second. Any suggestions in how to reduce this?

Any other suggestions on using erlang standalone as smoothly as possible
will be greatly appreciated.

-- Thomas