Recursive list comprehension

Thomas Lindgren <>
Thu Jan 19 11:25:17 CET 2006

--- Peter-Henry Mander
<> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> I've cc'ed the list too, I like a good argument, and
> the more the
> merrier. Anyone else care to add oil to the flames?
> As you probably realised, I'm talking out of the
> other orifice since I
> know too little Prolog to make a qualified
> judgement. It's not long ago
> that I stumbled on FP and COP and I still don't
> always grok it, and
> logic programming ought to be my next learning curve
> to climb. Now that
> I've #include <std_disclaim.h> I can forge ahead and
> embarrass myself,
> again :-)

Well, you're up against one of the world's top tier
experts on Prolog. Good luck :-)

If you haven't seen this one yet, I can recommend it
when you've mastered the basics:

Regarding Erlang vs Prolog: From what I recall
hearing, there were some concerns about backtracking
and side effects (still apparent when we discuss
guards, one may note), which may have been the
deciding point. Another issue I can vividly imagine is
that the "regular joe" programmers, for whom Erlang
was intended, always have had a hard time writing
useful Prolog -- probably even more so in the mid-80s.

There are, of course, plenty of insiders around who
can reminisce more effectively about this.

Do You Yahoo!?