Troubleshooting a high-load scenario

Joel Reymont <>
Tue Jan 17 15:47:32 CET 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 2:34 PM, Matthias Lang wrote:

> Joel's model of the problem:
>> Every bot gets notifications of other bots. So whenever 1 bot acts
>> everyone else gets notification. 2 bots would generate 2 messages for
>> every action, 10 bots would generate 10 messages, etc.

I should clarify... Bots only respond to bet requests. That's all
they do.
The messages are generated by the poker server notifying other bots
of changes
in game and server state.

> In test case #3, your bots have to deal with twice as many incoming
> messages per second as in test case #1. So the numbers you have chosen
> mean that your results don't allow you to conclude that the server is
> the problem.

I see what you are saying but...

> Or is there some throttling mechanism you're not telling us about?
> I.e. is there something which makes the bots' message generation rate
> decrease as you increase the number of bots?

I deal in tables. A table holds 10 bots. Only bots at this table get
when another bot takes action. All bots get notified when a bot joins
a table
but that's once per test.

The throttling mechanism is that the tables running on machine A have
to do with tables running on machine B unless bots from both machines
a single table. Even then bots are limited to receiving notifications of
actions taken by bots sitting at the same table.

Does this make my diagnosis correct?