Structuring an application

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Fri Jan 13 17:17:03 CET 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 04:07:14PM +0000, Joel Reymont wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Thanks for the tip.

Anytime.

> On Jan 13, 2006, at 3:57 PM, Rick Pettit wrote:
>
> >         * one_for_one  -  if  one  child  process terminates and
> >           should  be  restarted,  only  that  child  process  is
> >           affected.
>
> What if I _do not_ want that child restarted, that's my issue. Is
> there a way to supervise without restarting within OTP or do I just
> have to use erlang:monitor?
>
> >Just out of curiousity, are you taking a crash course in Erlang for
> >work,
> >school, or fun? You ask a ton of questions :-)
>
> I wrote a poker server in Erlang last summer and didn't ask a lot of
> questions during that time. Then I was rooming with a distinguished
> member of the Erlang community so it was quicker to just ask him :D.

I can understand that--when I have had past opportunities to work with those
who are more experienced than I, I tried to pull all the knowledge I could from
them. That kind of learning is hard to beat.

> I'm trying to use Erlang everywhere I can now which worked well
> during my bout with Haskell. I figure it does not hurt to ask
> questions and the more I ask, the more I learn.

I agree, asking questions is a good thing. I try to look online first: google,
Erlang FAQ, man pages, etc--but asking questions publically can at times be
necessary, and generally leads to a better understanding of some topic for all
subscribers.

Good luck and have fun with future Erlang projects!

-Rick