help

Danie Schutte danie@REDACTED
Sat Jan 7 18:24:42 CET 2006

Hi Ernie,

  yes we use yaws in quite a few "interfaces" - web and xml related.

In terms of front end interfaces we provide a few options:
	1.  Traditional web pages served by yaws.
	2.  XML Interfaces where the customer has got his own "front ends"  but want
to talk XML to us - also yaws.
	3.  Flash frontends - that looks flashy ;) and interfaces with the backends
with either direct url calls or xml calls - into yaws.
	4.  Certain interfaces that talk directly via tcp/ip to the backend (no yaws
on these).  (SMS, USSD, GPRS, WAP, (GSM and CDMA related)) and some other
stuff.

We have what we call a "bank in a box" so almost all / any financial
interface / protocol is currently supported (and flavored :) )

Just as a matter of interested - the 650 000 transactions as I said was a
pilot - the launch is estimated to start 16 January 2006 - and the 650 000
trans is estimated to be only about 2 - 3% of full production volume.

Mnesia:

Yes we use mnesia in an application called AFM Advanced File Management.  The
application is a "universal" file handler for pre-processing.  All
administrative and financial files are read, validated and submits the
information for processing by the banking or any other system - receives
feedback and updates the record and file statuses after processing and then
generates the required output files.

Mnesia is something we have liked since inception and used quite extensively -
the only concern from financial auditors - is the security around mnesia -
which you might have to deal with - and some resistance from DBA's :).

Although I must admit that we are starting to utilize MySQL 5 quite
 extensively as well.

==================

Using Mnesia and YAWS.

I think it depends on the transactions and requirements.  It is not just
functionality and usability - audit trails and policies from certain
financial institutions also restrict options and solutions.

YAWS we found was not such a big concern from an auditing perspective, whereas
Mnesia could be tough to get past the big audit firms.

Some of the things that we have seen and was integrated solutions where the
security for your web pages was kept in Mnesia - which work fine.

We have since done a solution with a centralized credentials server - which
can be utilized by both yaws other frontend and backend solutions - think
LDAP / Kerberos - but "system specific" which runs on mnesia - but we are
moving that to MySQL for policy reasons.

If you want to discussed it, just drop me a mail - or maybe we can get
together - we currently have guys travelling almost all over the world.
There are various solutions and the Erlang community is one of the best in
providing them.