Logging to one process from thousands: How does it work?

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Wed Jan 4 23:34:31 CET 2006

On 4 Jan 2006, at 21:39, David Hopwood wrote:

> Rick Pettit wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 01:21:32PM +0000, Joel Reymont wrote:
>>
>>> To add to my list of questions...
>>>
>>> Are there any limits on the size of the receive queue in Erlang?
>>
>> I entered your exact question into google and the first link that
>> popped up
>> was the Erlang FAQ--try reading that.
>>
>> You might even want to skip to the following section:
>>
>>   10.8.3. What limits does Erlang have?
>>
>> There you will find a link to even more information, and so on.
>
> Neither the FAQ, nor the "Efficiency Guide" that it links to,
> actually answers
> Joel's question. The lack of any explicit statement about a receive
> queue limit
> might be inferred to mean that there is no limit other than heap
> sizes, but I
> wouldn't be sure of that without looking at the implementation.

Maybe this is seen as rather basic for the FAQ (FAQs are normally
written by people who have forgotten the process of learning..).

It is explained very nicely in the chapter on Inter Process
Communication in the Erlang book (p69)

Sean