time it takes to reastart gen_server

Gunilla Arendt gunilla@REDACTED
Wed Jan 4 14:42:10 CET 2006

You don't have a gen_server, you have a plain Erlang process.
The process calls "gen_server:call(self(), stop)" when the port
is closed, thus sending a gen_server request to itself. But since
the process is not a gen_server (and does not handle the request),
no reply is received and the function call does not return until
the default gen_server timeout expires (incidentally, after 5 seconds)
and only then does the process terminate.

Instead of calling "gen_server:call(self(), stop)", simply let
the process terminate by -- for example -- returning an atom 'stop':

     receive
         {'EXIT',Port,Reason} ->
             io:format(...),
             stop;

Also, I recommend you read "Design Principles" in the Erlang/OTP
documentation to learn more about generic servers.

/ Gunilla