[erlang-questions] term_to_binary and message passing

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Dec 28 16:00:11 CET 2006

On 12/28/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
> Does this mean that any float I send within the VM will result in a
> 33-byte message?

Reading your question more carefully, the answer is "no". Sending the
term inside the VM uses the internal representation of the float (i.e.
4 words). term_to_binary is used when the term is about to be sent
outside the current VM (as message to a remote process). I am not sure
if this is the case if sending to a port, but I think it counts as an
'external' case too.

regards,
Vlad