[erlang-questions] HOW TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF DETS

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Wed Dec 20 15:13:37 CET 2006

On 12/20/06, chamila piyasena <tchamila@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new member to the Erlang  community as well as to Erlang and I'm still
> a student.  I have problems in  Dets  .
> how can I improve the data retrieval(minimize the time) from dets files? Is
> there a way to use indexing ?
> Or should I use other database like Mnesia.

When you ask if you should use indexing it sounds like you are seeking
through the dets file on a "column" other than the primary key? A.k.a
"tablescan".

If that is so, then yes you should keep an index on the secondary key.
Dets does not have such a feature, you need to build it, mnesia has it
though.

Hint: Be less vague and you can probably get better help.