[erlang-questions] Slightly higher-level APIs for crypto?

Jonathan Gold dev@REDACTED
Wed Dec 20 01:25:59 CET 2006

Are there any APIs built on top of crypto that encapsulate the steps
needed to encrypt/decrypt a stream based on a Key, as well as
generating a Key from a passphrase?

I'd like to figure out how to use crypto, or some other API built on
top of it, to essentially replicate some of the functionality in the
'openssl' command line utility.

For instance, 'openssl enc -des3 -a -pass pass:some_password' takes
STDIN, encrypts it using des3 with a key generated from the given
password, and writes it to STDOUT. I'd like to learn how to do this
efficiently in erlang, only replacing STDIN and STDOUT with standard
io streams, if possible.

In particular, I'm expecting to handle streams locally (filesystem)
and remotely (http or other TCP).

I looked around a bit, but can't figure out how people are currently
doing this. Any examples I can look at would be rockin.

jon