[erlang-questions] Why is Erlang what it is?

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Fri Dec 15 22:53:51 CET 2006

Skipping the discussion of whether static typing is good or bad, or how
good or how bad, and getting back to the original question.

Erlang is what it is because when we started developing the language we
came directly from the dynamically typed world of Lisp and Prolog.
That's it. No apologies and no regrets.

Ans I do think that having the same type of loosely coupled distributed
systems we have today but statically typed would be a real pain.

Robert