[erlang-questions] Keep multiple erlang releases in the same mechine

Serge Aleynikov <>
Thu Dec 14 15:20:49 CET 2006

You can give the "--prefix=PATH" option to the configure script.  This
will ensure that when you do "make install", Erlang will be installed in
a location different from default.

As we switch between releases often, we usually do it such that releases
go to:

and also create a link to the most recent release:

ln -s /opt/erlang/R11B-2 /opt/erlang/current

Then the programs such as /usr/local/bin/erl can be pointed to:

Whenever you need to switch between releases you repoint
/opt/erlang/current to a different directory underneath /opt/erlang.

Perhaps others use different approaches but this one works well for us.