[erlang-questions] (no subject)

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Mon Dec 11 15:16:26 CET 2006

--- Julian Fondren <ayrnieu@REDACTED> wrote:
> Which flexibility would allow subseq(4,<<"hi">>,2,2)
> to return <<134>>.
>
> But only literal values can appear as a unit size.
>
> Is this restriction likely to go away?  Why does it
> exist?

As far as I know, the classic OTP binary syntax has
been defined and restricted in several ways so that it
can be compiled efficiently and relatively
straightforwardly.

However, from what it sounds like, future OTP releases
may support more flexible bit operations, which could
be what you want. Have a look at the relevant paper by
the Hipe group in EUC'05 for some hints. (Um, I can't
remember the title at the moment ...)

Best,
Thomas