Erlang does have problems

lang er erlangist@REDACTED
Tue Aug 29 21:06:44 CEST 2006

Thanks.
Because I'm evaluating  building our new server  in Erlang.So I'm very
concerned about  these problems.

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 7:34 PM, lang er wrote:
>
> > Would be these system reimplemented in Erlang or other languages if
> > they have dropped ejabberd?
>
> Other languages.

Are there any other problems,or mainly  because  string memory usage?

> What's the status of Jabber.org?
>
> What do you mean?

>From ejabberd:

Jabber.org, the public Jabber server of the Jabber Software
Foundation<http://www.jabber.org/>(JSF) migrated from jabberd
1.4 <http://jabberd.org/> CVS to ejabberd <http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/>
1.0.0on February 26, 2006

I think jabber.org  has many registered users and very busy traffic , maybe
the status of jabber.org can provide more informations about  these
problems.

> Is this string-binary problem  a language problem or ejabberd
> > implementation issue?
>
> Both Erlang choosing to represent strings as lists of 4 or 8-byte
> integers and ejabberd using strings to represent XML messages flowing
> through the system.

Oh! So if a 64-bit machine is used.....

But I guess it is not very difficult to fix this issue in future release(if
the core team does think it is a problem), despite need add some
complexities to compiler / VM.

Best Regards!

james