Dynamic languages are the future

James Hague james.hague@REDACTED
Tue Aug 29 20:52:23 CEST 2006

On 8/29/06, David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED> wrote:

> Maybe the "next generation", but not the generation after that. My impression
> is that there are few purely dynamically typed languages being designed any
> more. Type inference has won the argument. It will just take a while for this
> to filter through to the mainstream, as it always does.

I disagree.  Type inference simply prevents you from having to
manually specify many types.  Indeed, the Erlang compiler already does
this where it can.  It doesn't magically solve problems like coming up
with a static type system that can handle dynamically reloading
modules in live system (without full recompilation) and messages
between processes.