Xml messaging in erlang question

bryan rasmussen rasmussen.bryan@REDACTED
Thu Aug 24 09:48:31 CEST 2006

hi List,

The following question will basically be academic, I want to get an
idea of how people would use Erlang with the following scenario, the
actual application will not be using Erlang (decisions made long ago
by others)

Basically one has messages sent via SOAP over HTTP, these messages can
hold two variations of the same format, one the international version
the other localized.

The localized version disallows some structures found in the
international version making for a potentially smaller message,
basically the localized version would be best processed using
something that reads the whole XML structure into memory and allows
one to work with XPath etc. to get out pertinent data.

The international version is potentially quite big and should thus be streamed.

I'm considering streaming and then cutting out the parts that are not
important.

To determine whether an instance should be streamed we will look at
the size of the instance before choosing processing method.

I expect more of localized version, and would at any rate want to
privilege localized version in processing, allowing localized messages
to go quicker through the system.

Obviously each type of message needs to have various things done to
it, validation of messages, branching due to validation problems,
information from messages added to database if valid, transformations
of messages for display if needed and so forth. Something like an XML
Pipeline.

At a high architectural level what ways would people want to use
Erlang to solve this?