Erlang for desktop applications?

Roberto Saccon <>
Wed Aug 23 06:47:20 CEST 2006

A few minutes of further research revealed that I missed an important thing:

XUL bindings for Erlang (and they need to go into mozilla trunk, which
is very unrealistic for the not-so-far future)

see link below for an example of Python XUL bindings (which will be
available for Firefox 3):

Possible workaround: Use Javascript for GUI stuff and go from there
via Erlang XPCOM bindings.

On 8/23/06, Roberto Saccon <> wrote:
> One OS-halfway-independant-way to build desktop applications is to
> create Firefox extensions which use XUL (this are just XML documents
> and CSS stylesheets) for GUI and XPCOM bindings for programming
> language integration. XPCOM bindings exist currently for Javascript
> and Python. A good Example for such in-browser XUL apps is upcoming
> a P2P and Bittorrent client which has its core
> code written in C++ and packaged as XPCOM. Another interesting fact
> about such firefox extensions is that they can integrate with webites
> (any website: the Firebug extension, specific websites: Greasemonkey).
> No I am wondering whether anybody has spent thoughts on using XUL as
> GUI toolkit for  Erlang, to create Erlang powered firefox extensions.
> What is necesssary to make that happen ?
> - Erlang XPCOM Bindings (need to find out what exactly that means)
> - A smart way to package a minimal Erlang Runtime environment into a
> frefox extension (*.xpi file) far all the different plattforms
> Did I miss something ?
> regards
> --
> Roberto Saccon