closing the loop on Erlang metaprogramming with Smerl

Yariv Sadan <>
Thu Aug 17 06:05:47 CEST 2006

It just struck me today that Smerl let you add functions to and remove
functions from modules, but it didn't let you modify existing
functions! I fixed this situation by adding two new functions:
smerl:get_func, which gets the abstract form of a functions, and
smerl:replace_func, which does a smerl:remove_func followed by a

Here are the links again:

direct download:

blog posting:

follow up:

I think this pretty much concludes the development of Smerl. I want to
keep Smerl simple, so any additional metaprogramming features would
belong in higher-level libraries.

If you have any thoughts, problems or suggestions, please let me know!