server chat with erlang

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Mon Aug 14 21:24:48 CEST 2006

Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2006, at 7:09 PM, Rick Pettit wrote:
>
>> Can't clients use pg2 groups or something like them to avoid having a
>> separate server to play role of lookup service?
>
> My understanding is that this will only work once the nodes are
> connected and you need a lookup service to connect the nodes in the
> first place.

Yup. In the course I used to teach (distributed programming), I had this
as the standard assignment for a 5-week course:
  1. Write a simple name server in Erlang.
  2. Write a fault tolerant group library in Erlang, then implement a
     chat client with a gs-based GUI, that uses the group library as a
     back end and the name server for discovery.

The specs are still available online (in Swedish, though):
http://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/distrprogmet/ht04/uppgift-1.shtml
http://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/distrprogmet/ht04/uppgift-2.shtml

For an almost-useless translation, try using Systran Swedish-to-English
on those URLs: http://www.systransoft.com/index.html

	/Richard