Mnesia and Oracle

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Thu Aug 10 14:07:48 CEST 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! The reason I intended on using both Mnesia
and MySQL is because they would store different kinds of data: MySQL
would store long-term, high-volume data and Mnesia would store session
data. I think storing session data in Mnesia makes sense because
Mnesia makes it easy to replicate this data, which would make the
architecture resilient to a front-end server crash (as opposed to
storing session data in ETS).

IIRC, ejabberd does something similar when using a SQL RDMBS.

Could I store session data in MySQL? Yes, and I'm still considering
this option, actually. However, the advantage of using Mnesia is I can
easily run it on the (Yaws) front-end boxes, which would make session
data access much faster.

Another problem with dets fragmentation, besides the long time it
takes to write it to disk, is the growing memory consumption. This can
affect performance if it gets out of hand. AFAIK, the only way to
defragment a dets table is to take if offline and reopen it with a
forced repair flag, which could take a long time (30 minutes?).

Thank
Yariv

Interesting... maybe I should have explained my reasoning better: