XMERL - why fatal errors?

karol skocik <>
Fri Apr 28 10:20:45 CEST 2006

Hi all,
  I am working with XMERL and I am curious why XMERL reacs so
"brutally" when it failes to validate file agains some DTD. If I don't
wrap xmerl_scan:parse_string in catch, it kills my server recieving
for XML server. Parsing of a simple but wrong file results in :

3229- fatal: {error,{error_missing_element_declaration_in_DTD,
!!!!! {'EXIT',{fatal,{{error,{error_missing_element_declaration_in_DTD,

Why? Why not simple as {error, validation_failed} or something?

Is there any way to prevent XMERL fail to fatal panic when validation
fails or should I cope with it myself?