Public Erlang talk in London at Erlang-Consulting

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED
Sat Apr 15 04:12:55 CEST 2006

It occurs to me that there may be an overlap in potential audience between
this talk, and another public talk that is taking place in London on the
same day, a short tube ride away:

<http://www.bcs-facs.org/events/EveningSeminars/cliff_jones_06.html>

> BCS-FACS Evening Seminar Series
>
> Joint Event with FME
>
> Specifying Systems that Connect to the Physical World
>
> Professor Cliff Jones
> (Joint work with Ian Hayes and Michael Jackson)

> 5.45pm
>
> BCS London Offices
> First Floor, The Davidson Building
> 5 Southampton Street
> London WC2E 7HA
>
> We all know about developing programs from formal specifications. For "closed"
> systems, such methods offer a gold standard against which less formal
> approaches can be measured. But there is an increasing demand for "open systems"
> which interact with the physical world. The overall system might include sensors
> and actuators whose signals flow to and from some control program. The task of
> obtaining a specification for the control program can be more challenging than
> that of deriving a program from that specification. This talk argues that
> recording an initial specification of the behaviour of the whole system in the
> physical world gives a way to derive a specification of a control system and
> also to record precisely the assumptions being made about those components
> which sit outside the computer.
>

> Refreshments will be served from 5.15pm
>
> The seminar is free of charge and open to everyone. If you would like to attend,
> please email Paul Boca <mailto:Paul.Boca@REDACTED> your name by 19 April 2006.
> Pre-registration is required, as security at the BCS Offices is tight.

The timing is very tight, though, especially with the Q&A session after the
Erlang talk:

16:30 - 17:30  Erlang talk (excluding Q&A)

walk to Liverpool Street (~500 m)
<http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=533629&y=181745&z=0&sv=E1+6EL>

Liverpool Street -> Temple on the Circle Line
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/travel/downloads/tube_map.html>

walk to BCS offices (~650 m)
<http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=530432&y=180813&z=0&sv=WC2E+7HA>

17:45 -        BCS talk

Can the Erlang talk possibly be moved, say, half an hour earlier? How many people
would be interested in attending both talks?

Eric Merritt wrote:
> Is there any possibility of getting this recorded and posted somewhere?

I have a video camera. I'm not absolutely sure yet that I will be able to
attend, though.

--
David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED>