inet:ip/1

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED
Thu Apr 13 04:11:37 CEST 2006

James Cloos wrote:

> Serge> While playing with the inet:ip/1 function I noticed that it can take
> Serge> an argument containing less than four octets.  What's the meaning of
> Serge> such a strange conversion like inet:ip("1.2.3")?
>
> The RFC for ipv4 defines all of:
>
>     a.b.c.d
>     a.b.e
>     a.f
>
> as identical, where e=256c+d, f=256b+e and g=256a+f.

That's not correct. Don't confuse the (long obsolete) RFC 950 class A/B/C
subnetting with the strings accepted by inet_aton. RFC 791 doesn't define or
use any string notation for IP addresses (it defines them as sequences of
four 8-bit bytes), and RFC 1020 uses a notation which is not consistent with
inet_aton.

--
David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood@REDACTED>