BEA offers real-time version of WebLogic server

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Wed Sep 28 19:13:30 CEST 2005

Well, I do have some beef with Erlang, although I would not go to
Java or C/C++ or Python. Haskell is my current enfatuation.

1) Erlang is not a panacea. You should leave some stuff outside
probably but linked in drivers are a major pain in the rear.

So if I were doing a trading system I would link in the algorithms.
Talking to external stuff through pipes or sockets is a kludge, really.

2) I think Erlang is most suited for applications where high
computational performance is not of essense. What's the right term,
apps that are not CPU-bound? I wouldn't do a trading system in
Erlang, for example.

I know of no other platforms that offer transparent process
distribution. A lot of other platforms offer lightweight concurrency,
though. Haskell (Concurrent Haskell?), has STM (shared transactional
memory) which I'm dying to try in a highly concurrent setting. I
think that if you modify STM to save to save or the network you'll
get... Mnesia! You would still not get distributed processes with the
node encoded in the process id, though.

--
http://wagerlabs.com/