Debugging crashes during init

Tim Bates tim@REDACTED
Tue Sep 27 13:26:03 CEST 2005

Hi folks,
When a process crashes during normal operation I get a lovely error
report printout with a reason for the crash and a traceback. When
something crashes inside my Application:start/2 functions I get this:

$ erl -boot lib/traderl/priv/traderl -config test -traderl gainfiles
'[test1.csv, test2.csv]'
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4.8 [source] [hipe] [threads:0]

=INFO REPORT==== 27-Sep-2005::20:50:40 ===
     application: traderl
     exited: {shutdown,{traderl_app,start,[normal,[]]}}
     type: permanent
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,shutdown}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) (shutdown)

The crash dump doesn't really give me any more useful information than
this. How can I find out where and why my init routines crashed? I've
been reduced to using print statements and it's frustrating to say the
least.

Thanks,
Tim.

--