Segmentation fault on Linux

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Mon Sep 26 22:59:38 CEST 2005

Edmund Dengler writes:
 > Howdy!
 >
 > I can report that using '--disable-hipe' does indeed work (at the expense
 > of optimizations). Are there any plans/hopes on fixing this, or is this a
 > fundamental problem requiring the switch to native posix threads (as has
 > been suggsted as another solution - I have not had time to test out)?
 >
 > Regards!
 > Ed
 >

 > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Stephen Han wrote:
 >
 > > I also have a problem in gentoo linux.
 > >
 > > Try to compile with --disable-hipe, see if it is work.
 > >
 > > There is an issue with new linux thread, the hipe may not be work in some
 > > situation, depends on what versions of libaries in your gentoo linux.
 > > There were 2 ways to fix the problem and the easiest thing is to disable
 > > hipe. The other one I forgot.
 > >
 > > regards,
 > >
 > > On 9/22/05, Edmund Dengler <edmundd@REDACTED> wrote:
 > > >
 > > > Howdy folks!
 > > >
 > > > I am getting segmentation errors when trying to run <erl> using OTP 10B-6
 > > > and 10B-7 on Linux. I can compile 10B-5 with no problems. Anybody have any
 > > > ideas on what may be causing this?
 > > >
 > > > Details:
 > > > - Gentoo Linux (2.6.8-gentoo-r3)
 > > > - gcc version 3.3.5
 > > > - compile flags:
 > > > ./configure --prefix=/opt/pkgs/erlang/10b-6
 > > >
 > > > I did notice a previous message on this
 > > > (http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200410/msg00057.html)
 > > > but no solution seemd to be posted.
 > > >
 > > > Regards!
 > > > Ed

Post a decent bug report. From the above I can't tell which
CPU architecture or glibc version you're using, or where the
segfaults occur.

R10B-7 with HiPE works fine here on FC4 (x86 and amd64),
FC3 (x86 and amd64), FC2 (x86), and YDL4 (ppc32), in addition
to Solaris and OSX. Since R10B-5 works on your Gentoo system,
and there aren't any substantial HiPE-related runtime system
changes between R10B-5 and R10B-{6,7}, I'm inclined to believe
that this is a Gentoo issue. (I'm also pretty sure it works on
Debian though I can't say which release.)