GUIs - ruby on rails, rico

Richard Cameron camster@REDACTED
Wed Sep 21 18:28:04 CEST 2005

On 21 Sep 2005, at 14:08, David Hopwood wrote:

>> <http://www.sics.se/~joe/apachevsyaws.html>,  support for /dev/
>> poll and
>> kqueue in Erlang on certain architectures,  and the whole design of
>> Erlang/OTP indicates that it's probably the  right tool for this
>> hack.
>>

> This will be handled badly by most TCP/IP implementations, even if
> Erlang
> and the web server do everything right.

What's the problem? If we equip the server with HTTP keepalives then
then the subsequent XMLHttpRequest should reuse the socket from the
previous request. All we've got is several thousand persistent
sockets connected to a listening process on a server. It's the same
sort of engineering challenge ejabberd has in trying to keep lots of
connections open at once - and it seems to cope extremely well.

Richard.