GUIs - ruby on rails, rico

Richard Cameron camster@REDACTED
Wed Sep 21 18:13:11 CEST 2005

On 21 Sep 2005, at 15:15, Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) wrote:

>    A more interesting way to view the template is as a process. The
> variables
> represet *place markers* to which "things" can be sent.
>
>    To create a page I say
>
>     Page = create_page(templateName)
>
>    Then I can fill in the data
>
>     Title@REDACTED ! "this is a blog"
>
>    This sends a "this is a blog" message to the ${Title}$ receptor
> in Page

... and you could take this approach to its logical extreme if you're
interested in building these really dynamic "AJAX" style applications
like, for example:

http://www.meebo.com/
http://www.protopage.com/

(the second doesn't seem to like Safari, so you'd need Firefox or
even IE)

Any browser not completely past its sell-by date will make available
the contents of the DOM for inspection and manipulation in
javascript.  So that's what's happening when these applications
dynamically create little floating "div" things which look like
windows. They even appear to be dragable by means lots of behind-the-
scenes javascript. When you combine this with XMLHttpRequest, you can
update little bits of content dynamically from the server without
having to regenerate the entire HTML page from the template and send
it over the network again.

So, if instead of writing your template engine (the thing which spits
out fully rendered HTML) as a server-side Erlang thing, you just bit
the bullet and implemented it in Javascript then you could have this
sort of _Title@REDACTED ! "this is a blog"_ construct actually update the
page on the browser as the user looks at it. Your web application
turns out to be an Erlang process which keeps track of the raw data
which can be sent down to the browser which simply displays it. So an
immediately useful consequence of all this is that you could write,
for example, a blog posting page with a large textbox which can auto-
save your work such that you don't lose it all when you accidentally
close the window, or your browser crashes - you've kept the state on
the server. It's even vaguely "Model-View-Controller" buzzword
compliant, it's just the view happens to live on a completely
different machine.

Actually, looking on the blogs, it seems that the instant messaging
application is implementing pretty much exactly this distributed
message passing approach:

http://plasser.net/blog/continuous_ajax_requests/
http://blog.meebo.com/?p=23

All the javascript to do this seems to be highly embedded into their
application, but it ought to be fairly easy to develop a stand-alone
library which implements the message passing primitives - exactly
like Distel, but in a browser. Clearly the real magic is going to
happen on the server side though. Erlang is the "right" language to
think about about writing applications which control the UI by some
distributed message passing protocol. It's also going to handle the
load a whole lot better than an apache/python implementation.

>     Now all I have to do is implement it - pretty easy given erlang
> and rico
> like stuff.

... yes. I'm having exactly the same problem. Always much more
difficult when you have to actually do the work.

>     BTW - why is it called XMLHTTP? - as far as I can see there is
> absolutly no
> requirement for the server responding to requests with XML - the
> server can reply with
> any old string that it feels like, and a javascript receptor can do
> anything
> it feels like with the result.

Yes, you can define your own protocol and do what you like with it.
The reason it's called "XML" is because the object has a property
called "responseXML". If your messages are well-formed XML then you
can use the browser's built-in operations to traverse the document
tree and generally process the data. There's some argument that the
performance benefit of using the native operations in the browser to
do this (rather than implementing a parser which has to run as
interpreted javascript) might even be worth the cost of lugging lots
of verbose XML over the network[*]. All depends on what's in your
messages I suppose. If you're transporting complex Erlang expressions
then there's a reasonable term <-> lisp s-expression <-> XML mapping
which might mean that you end up with something the browser can
actually manipulate at the other end without having to write your own
erlang term parser in javascript. The downside to all that is that
different XML libraries are available in different browsers, so you
have bit of a nightmare checking it's all cross-platform.

Richard.

[*] - although the standard trick of compressing verbose content with
zlib as it's actually transported over the network should work fine
here. See <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html> for
an Apache implementation.