Question on functional style

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Fri Sep 9 19:09:44 CEST 2005

Gurus,

Is it bad form to use try/catch to handle non-local returns
other than exceptions?

I have some code which does a battery of tests in several phases.
The tests are simple so it makes sense to me to just perform
them sequentially in one function and throw when I want to skip
to the next phase:

start(Arg) ->
    try begin
        case lists:member(foo, Arg) of
            true ->
                throw(done);
            _ ->
                ok
        end,
        case lists:member(bar, Arg) of
            true ->
                throw(done);
            _ ->
                ok
        end,
        case lists:member(baz, Arg) of
            true ->
                throw(done);
            _ ->
                ok
        end
    end
    catch
        throw:done ->
            phase2()
    end.

phase2() ->
    done.

While this is easiest for me to understand my own code I wonder
whether it is good functional style.  I do end up with a very
large function and the throw is not really an "exception".

Alternatively I can hard cpode the sequence into the test functions:

start(Arg) ->
    f1(Arg).

f1(Arg) ->
    case lists:member(foo, Arg) of
        true ->
            phase2();
        _ ->
            f2(Arg)
    end.

f2(Arg) ->
    case lists:member(bar, Arg) of
        true ->
            phase2();
        _ ->
            f3(Arg)
    end.

f3(Arg) ->
    case lists:member(baz, Arg) of
        true ->
            phase2();
        _ ->
            ok
    end.

phase2() ->
    done.

I find this makes it harder to follow the sequence and the tests
can't be reused in a different order.  I could pass the next function
as an argument I suppose ...

It seems to me that the above is less deterministic.  The return
from f1/1 depends on what happens in f2,f3,...fn.

Using the first form I can actually perform many of the tests using
an if statement and pattern matching.

Your opinions are welcome.

	-Vance (who has never taken a CS course)