Erlang vs. Java

Charles Blair chas@REDACTED
Fri Sep 9 01:02:36 CEST 2005

> There's a comment at http://wagerlabs.com/tech/2005/09/erlang-vs-
> java.html that asks very interesting questions on how you would do
> things in Erlang vs. Java, the type of questions that Erlang lovers
> here appreciate. The poster is obviously Java-biased. Please help me
> set the record straight!

as an addition to this exchange:

---
   Can I derive from an existing piece of code and extend it without
   copy/paste ?

Yes, copy/paste is certainly easy. A common sentiment among erlang
programmers is that programs can be made so expressive that reuse
becomes less important. Having said that, I would also say that Erlang
allows you to write very reusable code.
---

i might add that i find the availability of macros in erlang to
facilitate code re-use in a very big way: if i find myself using the
same pattern again and again, i write a macro to capture it.