I had a dread

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond@REDACTED
Fri Sep 2 17:25:28 CEST 2005

Le 1 sept. 05 à 20:25, Eric Merritt a écrit :

> Even with the availability of REPOS, Joe has a point. There is a bit
> of magic in being able to apt-get 'erlangish-foo' that you just can't
> get when you have to do something manually. I think that erlmerge is a
> huge step down this path, even though right now there only seems to be
> a couple of packages available and no ability to erlmerge update to
> the erlang distro.
>  In general I think it would be great to have erlmerge and apt
> integrated, but at the very least it would be nice to have erlmerge in
> apt so that you could do an 'apt-get erlmerge' and then 'erlmerge
> erlangish-foo'. Its not optimal, but its a big step in the right
> direction.

The main problem is that each distro has its own tool: apt-get,
urpmi, yum, yast, emerge, and so on.
erlmerge is a step is a good directory as it sits on top of the
system package manage. This is what Perl is doing with CPAN.
Distribution providers have to support base Erlang module and the
other ones are supported by an Erlang native tool.

One problem remains and is non trivial: how to support Erlang
application that rely on binary modules ?
This is even less trivial when you have a multiplatform environment
like Erlang that run on various operating systems: Linux, *BSD, *Nix,
Windows, MacOSX.

What we are doing with REPOS is a hard job a precompiling all the
native stuff, to have everything for all platforms (not all but as
many as we can) ?
This is not perfect at all, but is also a good start. Maybe merging
REPOS effort with Erlmerge could lead to interesting and practical
results.

--
Mickaël Rémond