Quad-core Macs: More reason for a multi-CPU aware Erlang

Chris Campbell cyberdanx@REDACTED
Thu Oct 20 16:38:45 CEST 2005

I don't understand.  Surely it is easy to take advantage of multiple
cpus given that distribution is fairly easy with Erlang?  Does the
runtime support memory mapped pages between nodes on the same machine?

This was the preferred way to use multiple cpus in Oz.  Oz isn't
Erlang, but I would assume the same strategy here.  Start a main
process, that spawns new nodes to parallelise computations on
different cores.  The developer is in full control of what is sent off
for computation elsewhere and it doesn't involve unnecessarily
complicating the runtime and scheduler.

Note, I'm fairly new to Erlang so maybe there is some complication I'm
not aware of.

Regards,
Chris