beating mnesia to death (was RE: Using 4Gb of ram with Erlang VM)

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) <>
Wed Nov 9 00:00:02 CET 2005


 

To sum up my experiences on the 16 GB machine:

- 64-bit erlang seems to work like a charm
- I stored 70 million records in a table in 
  one benchmark (15 GB of RAM usage), and 
  built a 5-million record replicated disc_copies
  table in another. Everything worked pretty 
  much as expected, which was more than I 
  expected, actually(*).  ;-)
- Loading 5 million records from disk took about
  27 seconds; loading over the network took 
  about as long. Building the table from 
  scratch took over two hours.
- I ran 6 million simultaneous processes; 20 M
  when I used hibernate/3. Spawn and send times
  were unaffected.

My main gripe is that erlang terms take up
a huge amount of space on the heap, e.g. 
16 bytes per character in a string -- not 
particularly sexy. In order to get large
amounts of data in there, you pretty much
have to use binaries.

/Uffe

(*) I know that OTP doesn't have this type
of hardware in their lab, so this stuff isn't
really tested before release. Nice then to see
that it works exactly as advertised.



More information about the erlang-questions mailing list